ASTI is currently active in over 80 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America and the Caribbean. Sustained funding has enabled formerly ad hoc activities in South Asia and Africa south of the Sahara to be consolidated into an institutionalized system of data compilation, synthesis, and analysis at regular intervals. The appointment of individuals acting as national and regional focal points is facilitating this process, enhancing local ownership of the data, and stimulating national-level advocacy and data analysis.
ASTI’s activities during 2015–2018 will include
- releasing factsheets, data and analysis tools, and a regional report for Latin America and Caribbean (2015);
- conducting two new rounds of data collection in Africa south of the Sahara (2015 and 2017) resulting in country factsheets, online datasets, and regional reports;
- conducting two new rounds of data collection in South Asia (2016 and 2018) resulting in country factsheets, online datasets, and regional reports;
- conducting outreach activities to enhance the uptake of data and analysis in South Asia and Africa south of the Sahara (2016–2018);
- preparing a variety of regional and global analytical studies using ASTI datasets; and
- releasing a set of new data presentation and download tools.